It’s been a busy summer of traveling. We’ve visited cousins in Georgia for 2 weeks, in mid-July I was off to South Florida for a business trip, and my family has just returned from a wonderful week in Seattle visiting friends and exploring the sites. This past week has been my week to recoup. So I haven’t felt much like spending time cooking, ironic because during our stay in Bellevue in a great Air Bnb with a full kitchen and lovely dining area, we rarely cooked because we’d spent our whole days traveling into the city and exploring sites, thus dinners were often eaten out. So I’ve kept dinners easy and simple, like this #dairyfree Nachos “Taco Night” dish:
Nachos – 2 Ways for “Taco Night”
Taco nights can be fun and easy. I simply set the ingredients toppings in bowls and let my family members assemble to their preference. This past taco night, I chose to highlight beans for the protein. And instead of corn tortillas, I chose tortilla chips. To make it #dairyfree I use avocado (a healthy fat) for its creamy texture and mouthfeel. This was more of a Nachos dish. Here I assembled it with the same ingredients but one is mixed, the other served in layers. Either way is tasty and my hubby thinks so, too.
Here’s the simple recipe:
- 1½ cups black beans, canned, low sodium (or kidney beans)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chicken broth (or veggie broth), low sodium
- 1 head of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 3 oz Tortilla chips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Drain beans and set aside.
- In a pan. heat 1 Tbsp oil oil and add minced garlic (I use a garlic crusher)
- When garlic just starts to soften and brown, add beans and mix well.
- Continue to heat and add broth as needed to keep beans from sticking to pan.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and heat.
- Add kale and incorporate till well-coated.
- Heat on stove, slightly covered until kale cooked til desired consistency.
- Assemble 3 bowls with kale, bean mixture, chips, and tomatoes.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice for added flavor.
- Garnish with avocado slices
- OPTIONAL: Add sriracha or garlic chili sauce