The Recipe Redux is celebrating it’s 6th Birthday. So the theme this month is a small-bite treat. My contribution to this party is my Mini Frozen Bananas with Hemp Hearts. The combination is simple, tasty and a nutritional winner with 4g protein and 3g fiber!
I’ve always loved to be able to whip up a treat, and these frozen bananas are one of the simplest treats I’ve made. I remember priding myself on mixing up chocolate chip cookie dough from the top of my head (I’d quickly recall: 1/2 cup Challenge butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour, 1 pinch of salt, 1 tsp baking soda, and as many walnuts and chocolate chips I could mix in; bake for 10 minutes) Always came out great — my go-to dessert dish. But that was before I discovered I could doctor up treats to make them healthier as well as tasty. So today, I had to come up with something quick because my girls and I are headed off to visit our cousins in Athens, Georgia tomorrow. Been busy and soon we will be on vacation for 10 days!
Few Ingredients, Simple to Make: Frozen Bananas!
These banana treats are simply 3-ingredients: bananas, coated in chocolate and sprinkled with raw, unshelled hemp seeds. So we’ve got the goodness of whole-food potassium-rich banana and hemp seeds, a source omega 3’s, fiber and some B-vitamins. The chocolate, well, it’s Ghirardelli 60% dark morsels and that’s fine with me. A little chocolate is good for the soul and if you’ve got in some dark chocolate, you’ll get in some flavanols (antioxidants).
Truth be told, I was planning on setting up a “sundae bar” with various nuts, dried fruits and cocoa nibs to make the toppings a colorful, textural variety depending on individual taste. But my kids discovered my Manitoba Harvest raw, unshelled hemp seeds tasted great in the melted chocolate. So that was the bomb! I took their lead. Why I had my hemp seeds out on the table, I do not know, but it may have been their from my salad and veggie burger lunch as I like to sprinkle hemp seeds on my salads to get in some more heart-healthy nutrients.
Here’s the recipe:
- 3 frozen bananas, cut in half
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60%)
- ½ tsp coconut oil (or butter)
- ¼ cup raw, unshelled hemp seeds
- Set up frozen banana halves on a tray.
- Place hemp seeds in a bowl.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe shallow bowl with ½ tsp of coconut oil.
- Line a tray with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in microwave, removing to stir every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Carefully roll banana halves into chocolate - doesn't have to be completed coated, half coating is fine; place onto wax paper.
- With a spoon sprinkle hemp seeds onto the chocolate coating.
- Let dry completely and carefully pack in tupperware to freeze.