Ice cream is such a childhood favorite, and as adults — we love it, too! But some of us don’t do well with dairy or just don’t want all the empty calories that often come with a rich, creamy treat. Could it be possible to load in heart-healthy nutrients into a creamy, dreamy dessert? Of course!!
Creamy, Vegan Pistachio Cashew Ice Cream
Armed with a case of avocados, some culinary research and creativity, I’ve come up with just the right treat for you — Creamy, Vegan Pistachio Cashew Ice Cream!
If you’ve got an ice cream maker, here’s a simple recipe for a creamy-licious dessert. Otherwise, visit my previous post for a delicious Pistachio Cashew Cream smoothie (It’s got pretty much the same ingredients).
My kids love to see the process of a creamy, thick liquid transforming into a churned, frozen treat. We’ve had this Cuisinart Ice cream maker for years and it’s a great tool for whipping up frozen treats.
The base consists creamy, ripe avocado, banana and dates. It’s flavored with vanilla, cashew butter and pistachios. And it contains other heart-healthy add-in’s such as flax. It’s a treat my family surely enjoyed. The recipe is below.
- 1 medium-large avocado
- 1 medium banana, ripe
- 6 Dates
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1½ cups Barista Blend Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Cashew Butter
- 10 Pistachios
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 Tbsp melted Coconut Oil
- optional: 1 pinch sea salt
- Blend avocado, banana, dates and flax in Cuisinart food processor, until creamy (dates don't need to be perfectly pureed).
- Add maple syrup and almond milk.
- Process in cashew butter and pistachios (pistachios can remain crunchy).
- Blend in coconut oil until mixture creamy, but textured with pistachios and date bits.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow directions.
What makes this a nutrient-dense treat?
It’s all the plant food ingredients including avocado, banana, dates, nuts and seeds (flax is a seed). This vegan ice-cream is whole food (fruit) based (no added sugars), has 13g of heart-healthy fats including avocado, flax and nuts, 5g fiber and 3g protein.
Disclaimer: I was not paid or compensated in any way to promote Cuisinart products. I just simply love my kitchen tools and Cuisinart just happens to be the brand I’ve used and trusted for years (Food Processor and Ice Cream Maker).