I was recently asked by FitKit to contribute to their blog and I was impressed by the company I shared. Nicely informative, interesting posts pertaining to health and well-being.
While preparing my article – 4 Great Meals from Just 6 Ingredients – I developed a unique pesto recipe I’d like to share. While it was meant to be a simple alternative for a refreshing re-invention of “last night’s meal”, it is also a nice recipe for any first-time dish.
Nutri-Savvy’s Sweet & Creamy Spinach Pesto
And speaking of pesto, have you tried any of these tasty ideas?:
- A sandwich spread
- Served on crostini with fresh tomato slices
- Spread between layers of watermelon and Manchego cheese – a wonderful find from Food Republic.
- Served atop baked chicken or salmon
- As a way to dress and flavor plain baked or boiled potatoes
- As a crunchy/creamy snack with baked pita chips
- A dip for your favorite vegetables
- And I’m sure there are several more tasteful ideas (Perhaps you have one to share?)
The following recipe is a little unique in that corn is added to the mix. Why? Because that was in “last night’s meal” and I wanted to use all the ingredients in a refreshing, unique way. And while most are most familiar with basil pesto, almost any leafy green (or combination) will work – it, of course, depends on your preference.
The recipe: It’s simple, just add all these ingredients to a food processor and blend until desired consistency:
- 2 cups of fresh, washed spinach
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine-nuts
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 oz of pecorrino-romano cheese
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of fresh corn kernels (from a small cob) – adds a little sweet, creaminess to the mixture
Pictured above: Nutri-Savvy’s pesto blend with a basil-leaf garnish and sliced cherry tomatoes.
JUST 5 DAYS LEFT TO ENTER MY ** GIVE-AWAY **
Click here for details!